Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

DEWEY WOULD ROLL OVER IN HIS GRAVE

A Librarian in our school district (I have changed her name below to "Priscilla" for privacy) sent this really bitchy email to one of my fellow Library technicians (whom I have dubbed "Ernestine," also for privacy).  I happen to be friends with "Priscilla," and worked with her for years, and somehow never saw this scary, intense side of her.  That's why I think this is so funny.  (And by the way, I made up the names "Reginald" and "St. Didacticus," too.  But wouldn't that be great if there really was a school called St. Didacticus?)

Ernestine,
It is VERY important to teach the students how to shelf read and the proper order the books should be in. 
Do not assume they know, you must go to the shelves and SHOW them. 
I checked Reginald's shelves and he was not instructed on the order.  For example he had 745.6 before 745.44 or 745.59 since he thought the number 6 is smaller than 44 or 59. 

It is 745.01 before 745.10   It is digit by digit
745. 02
745.03 etc. 
745.1  
etc.  

I will bring the instruction manual from St. Didacticus for you to go through and then you can teach the TAs.  This is very important and we can't assume they know what to do simply by saying "go put the books in order". 
This is the only section I got to.  I don't know how the others are doing. 

Thank you for your attention to this important matter.  
Priscilla
Don't.  Do it.  WRONG.

1 comment: