Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

HALLOWEEN IN THE 'BRARY

          So before I take it all down, I thought I'd post pictures of my lovely Halloween displays.
The big bulletin board, with mostly hand-made stuff by me.  :)
          I wanted to highlight some favorite spooky authors, so we did shrines to Edgar Allan Poe and H. P. Lovecraft.  I try to turn the older kids on to Lovecraft whenever I can, because he's one of the grandfathers of modern horror, even if most people aren't as familiar with his name as they are with Poe's.

The picture is a postcard from the Edgar Allan Poe museum, and the parchment
document is a reproduction of "The Raven" in Poe's own handwriting.  Both were
procured by the Librarian I work with, because she's cool like that.

I found the picture of Lovecraft online, and printed out information on his works,
and a little explanation of the Cthulhu Mythos.

Glass display case with my mom's feathery-fabulous witch hat,
an awesome rubber skeleton, some legit vintage orange Halloween decorations from
the Librarian, potion bottles, and of course horror stories

Close-up of my bug-eyed bony buddy

The long & skinny bulletin board with some clip-art creations, glitter leaves,
and prints from Chris Van Allsburg's "The Mysteries of Harris Burdick"
          Recommended:  "The Halloween Tree" by Ray Bradbury.  It's a fantastical journey through time and space to the origins (pagan and otherwise) of the season, complete with autumn winds and a haunted house.
One of my favorite children's Halloween books, with a
great cover illo by Leo & Diane Dillon
          And my favorite Halloween picture book is a tie between "A Woggle of Witches," and "A Halloween Happening," both by Adrienne Adams.  I could only find a good picture of the first, though.  It's a shame these books are so hard to come by now, they have really beautiful atmospheric paintings.  If I remember correctly, I think "A Halloween Happening" has the witches throwing a party up in the trees, with lanterns and cool stuff like that.
I totally wanna hang out with these witches

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea that "a woggle" was the official term for a group of witches. I thought it was "a coven". Or perhaps "a Christine O'Donnell".

    ReplyDelete